02 June, 2023

"Grocery? No, Sirree!" challenge

My sister is going away for two months as of next Monday, and in her absence I'm thinking about doing a no-grocery challenge.

It's simply this: I buy no groceries until she's back. I have to live off what's in the pantry, fridge, freezer, and garden until she returns. That includes staples.

Now, this isn't a hardship, just constraining. We have a pantry that is absolutely BURSTING with foodstuffs and all it would take to work through it is a little organisation. And maybe a slightly less elevated palate.

I have soups and stews, tinned food of all types and kinds, various containers of frozen fruits and vegies, a lot of frozen meat (if that freezer goes down we are SO SCREWED), the chooks lay eggs, and if I plant some leafy greens now, I could cook those (although I could also use the Okinawa spinach which is growing crazy next to the carport). There's almost certainly sweet potato in the ground, too, which I just have to dig out. And it would make me think beyond my usual diet, which is very 'typical Australian' (I do love my meat).

I have canned and pickled and dried fruit - peaches, apricots, nectarines, apples - and some bought jars (morello cherries), and it's citrus season (oranges on the tree, limes from the neighbours, I'm pretty sure I could find some locals who'd just give me a couple of lemons if I needed), so I'm not going to get scurvy...probably.

The pantry has cooking and baking staples; if I had to make bread, I have yeast. There's dried pasta (and I can make it fresh with eggs and flour if I really need it), and noodles and everything.

I'd have to eat more sparingly of meat, which I can't replace. Proteins would primarily come from the chickens, and maybe from legumes. I might miss tomatoes because it's the wrong season for growing those, or maybe I'd just have to be more considered with the tomatoes that I'm growing?

The main thing that I would miss and which I can't get from anywhere else or really freeze is dairy: cream, milk, and cheese. I have some cheeses in the fridge, and I suppose I could store some cream and milk in the freezer, or I could make the exception for a carton of cream once a fornight (to go in my coffee), or else switch to my sister's soy milk. IDK. See how it gets complicated really fast?

That said, I'm well aware that being able to do this is a privilege. We've had the money to buy all this, to stock up. The house has space to have a garden. I have space to store things, and we have a deep freezer that enables purchase of meat and freezing of things ahead of time.

It increases the requirement of thinking about meal prep; reduces the amount I buy.

I'd make an exception for takeaway (once a week, maybe) and for going out with friends (doesn't happen often) or being invited to someone's house (eg. parentals).

I feel like I could make a charity drive out of it: donate to this charity and I'll do the challenge - raise $5K to get me to do it, raise $10K to exclude everything but dairy and takeaway and dinner out, raise $15K to exclude everything but takeaway and dinner out, raise $20K to exclude everything.

$20K feels like a lot, sure; but I know a fair bit of family with fairly deep pockets who'd probably move to do this.

The downsides?
1. It's the depths of winter.
2. I'll be doing this solo in the house.
3. Excluding social eating confines me to pretty much solitary.
4. None of this would be great for my mental health.

I did the Ration Challenge five years ago, and it went pretty well - raised quite a bit of money because a) it was a cause that lots of my friends believed in, b) people know how much I love my food. But that was only for a week.

I have ten days to think about this anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment