03 April, 2022

diary: I know we'll grow again some sunny day!

WEATHER

SUNNY! There is sun, there is breeze, things are drying out pretty well. It provided me with enough warmth and a break in the weather to do a number of garden tasks, and get involved enough that I lost track of time... Lunch will be a little later than I planned.

CHOOKS

Hainan, Shantung, and Goongbao keep getting into the neighbour's yard. I have no idea how, but I am trying to plug holes in the fencing.

PRUNING & PREPARING

I did edge composting on the BATHTUB and the BACKYARD WICKING beds. I videoed it, in landscape so it can be used to make a video on Edge Composting.
BATHTUB: Comfrey, gutter tailings, sifted compost, pea straw
BACK WICKING: comfrey, worm castings, pea straw, indian borage water

Pruned back a large proportion of the COSMOS in the front triangle bed; need to run the chooks through there this year.

PLANTING

Sowed BATHTUB out with CORIANDER, ONIONS (red spanish, white spanish), and SPINACH (viroflay).

Planted out BACK WICKING with a LANDCRESS (tiny). Future thought: probably more silverbeet/spinach.

RIPENING

Still the PUMPKINS (whatever type they are) all across the front yard. Tomatoes in the APPLES-DUALSTONE.

HARVEST

Several potatoes from the front bed (APPLES-DUALSTONE), rather knobbly, a couple were green but I cut the green parts off. A couple of new potatoes from the

NOTES

I dug up a couple of COMFREY plants, but have a feeling I didn't go deep enough to get the small roots, so I'm probably going to have to dig a bit deeper maybe. Or just live with comfrey popping up everywhere. As though it wasn't already.

There's a guy advertising for work hours on the local group, I'm thinking I might be able to use him to help with a) moving wood mulches, b) turning composts, c) sieving composts, d) chipping prunings... IDK.

No comments:

Post a Comment