09 November, 2021

stone harvest: worst time to be away

I didn't think when I booked a holiday away from home. I just thought 'ooh, it'll be nice to get away for a bit'.

As a result I am away during the when my early nectarine and peach trees are turning from ripe to overripe, and I am not there to harvest them.

November 2021

I've done what I can, trimmed down branches and gifted them to neighbours, picked everything that's ripe and put it in the fridge, and frozen the ones that seem unlikely to last for later making jam...

Still, it's an abundance...and I am absent from it. I've invited friends to come around and do some picking, but I'm not sure they will. The sisters have promised to keep an eye on things, but they're limited by energy and location. And in four days, a lot of fruit fly can find their way into the fruit and wreck the latter half of the crop...not to mention any other crops that happen to be around at the time...

Next time, no holidays in November!

No comments:

Post a Comment