30 June, 2022

future thoughts

I'm thinking about selling the apartment I own in my SMSF in Melbourne and buying...a piece of land somewhere up in the north coast hinterlands.

Rent it out at a marginal fee to some people who want to practice permaculture. The object wouldn't be to make money so much as to have purchased something practical and pragmatic going forward, and to invest in community.

I'm not sure how viable this is. I'm fairly sure my financial advisor would advocate against it, but their concern is mostly the portability of capital, particularly looking towards a retirement age. I'm not convinced that we're going to actually hit a retirement state - not enough younger generation, for starters, and climate change for finishers. Maybe we'll still end up with a workable state, but I'm not counting on it. Better to have that money in some land and some people than sitting in a high-rise in Melbourne.

Question is: how much will it provide? Would selling it pay off the mortgage that I owe? Is there anyone capable of buying it still? And if I wait too long will there still be anyone around to buy it?

Not something that can go anywhere that people usually read; it's not very standard or expected. Not quite weird psycho crazycakes thinking, but pretty damn close.

No comments:

Post a Comment