06 May, 2022

dear diary: that went well, didn't it? - early May

I've been struggling to keep this up, to work in the garden, to not feel like I'm completely failing at permaculture and permaculture design.

The house is cold and draughty and I don't know how to fix it: that takes money and while I have some, I have to clear it with my sister. Also, light mould around the windows, need to wipe those down at some point. *sigh*

WEATHER

Sunny days this week, projected rainy ones next.

CHOOKS

Moved to the triangle orchard, happily digging away right now. Not sure if they're still experiencing mites; a bit worried about how they're all clustering together.

PRUNING & PREPARING

To be pruned: the salvia hedges along the front, even if it disturbs the bees. Start with one of the red ones.

I guess the chooks are preparing the soil around the orchard trees - I'll dump some straw and other things in there after they've had a couple of days of being moved around there...

CAPSICUMS: backyard set will need pruning down for winter

VEGEPOD: will need chickens on it to give it a good scratch-and-dig. Then some edge composting for the winter cropping.

PLANTING

GARLIC: Valiant and Monaro (in light seaweed solution)

GARLIC: Spanish Roja (in light seaweed solution)

PEAS: dwarf snow peas - sprouting

PEAS: bush sugar snap - sprouting

ONIONS: creamgold and north holland red -

CABBAGE: Red Queen (hybrid)

RIPENING

Pumpkins still ripening on the vine. Also LUFFAS of eating size. Possibly CAPSICUMS.

HARVEST

Pumpkins? Silverbeet in CARPORT VEGEPOD. Tomatoes in front orchard.

NOTES

Doing my sit plan and 'bubble design' for my PDC, I'm struggling with What I Should Have Done vs What I've Actually Done and how different they are. But it's too late to go back 8 years, do the renos that would insulate the house and make it better so...now we're just stuck with a lot of work and an impossible task? UGH.

No comments:

Post a Comment