27 October, 2021

summer planting planning

To plant on Friday-Saturday: ONIONS

I want ONIONS come next winter. But planting them now means planting them somewhere that I can be reasonably sure they'll last through the summer. Which means a wicking bed. Which means either the front lounge bed, or the large vegepod or the small vegepod.

Next leafy/fruity planting cycle: SILVERBEET and SPINCH (again) Probably in either the vegepod or the front lounge wicking bed.

I have several ROCKMELONS and some WATERMELONS that need planting out. I was thinking that I could perhaps dig out the soil in the metal frame bed of the triangle orchard, put down fresh chook poop and more new compost, then put the soil back over. The bluebird ollas I have in there should provide just enough moisture through the middle-of-the-summer heat, and I can mulch that bed pretty heavily. Then, at the end of summer, put some leafy greens in, before pulling the entire bed out come spring (perhaps).

Weekend Weekend

IDK. I feel like my garden is miserable compared to the gardens I see on instagram and FB: I know - it's the way of things. They show only the best parts of their gardens, the successes, carefully curated. I have to remind myself that.

Yesterday, I did have a chat with a couple... my brain is saying 'Alison and Scott' and I hope that's correct because I didn't write it down in my neighbourhood book, dammit. Which has become increasingly necessary in order to keep track of who is who (I'm awful with names, but pretty good with faces). But, yes, a couple who've just moved into the next road up and were admiring my nectarine trees. They've got a few trees in their yard and they're just learning what they are now that spring is in. I hope they'll be back; I do need to chat with a few more people in the neighbourhood about gardens and growing things and neighbourhood movements... Gotta work out how to make contact.

No comments:

Post a Comment