25 August, 2021

weekend gardening

Weekend was warm and sunny before a cold front bringing rain was to hit us mid-week. So it was a good time to get stuff done in the garden.
August weekend

Did/Done List
1. Removed a wire fence from behind my two driveway bed apples. It was useful back when I was using it to confine the chooks, but now that we have so many more chooks, weeding is going to be a lot faster: done in a couple of days rather than over the course of a cople of weeks. The fence wasn't helping guide the apples anymore, and it was detrimental to netting the trees, so I replaced it with two wooden posts to string some wire between for netting to cover the apple trees.

August weekend

2. Planted out my mother's black lilies in between the apricot and the elder tree
3. Planted ranunculus bulbs in front of the multi-stone in the backyard.
4. Grafted two apples - don't know if they'll take: I can't get the whip-and-tongue grafts to fit properly enough that the cambium layers match. I might have to stick a butterfly clip on it to properly pin the surfaces together.
August weekend

5. Planted out a 'green fodder' bed in the second chook yard.
6. Planted blue turmeric and galangal, and I did the ginger just this morning.
7. Set up the north side garden beds - including the turmeric, galangal, ginger beds - ready to be watered from the kitchen vegiewash run-off. I'll need more soil with which to fill out the polyboxes that I'll be doing the growing in (insulated), and I need to better work out the watering system so it more evenly distributes, but...it's a start!
August weekend

8. Attached chook wire to the new midpoint post of the chicken yard. Now I just need the hardware for affixing the beams and bracing them against each other so they stay square and don't sag.
9. Moved the composting frame from the compost in the chook yard to the banana circle (where it's blown over in the present winds). The plan is to get mostly garden clippings and stuff from the neighbours and toss it in there to decompose and rot. I may need to put a wire base on it to keep the rats out.
10. Closed up the fruit fly netting around the peach/nectarine and set some traps for them within the netting to catch the ones that had already turned up.

Planned to do but did not
I was also planning to repot the black sapote, but that didn't happen and now I'm out of soil. I'm going to have to dig out the chook yard shortly, get all that good chook poop and soil for it to grow in. I doubt I'll get any fruit from it - I think it's too cold through the year for it.

We had rain all of Tuesday, along with gusty winds, our water barrels filled up and our soil soaked it up. Hopefully this means there'll be a lot more growing in the coming month, and then some more rain in late September/early October to give bulk to the fruit that's setting even now.

Gonna have to get my nettings on over all the fruit trees. And that's going to be a job and a half, oy.

Spring makes its inevitable march; unfortunately, the warm temperatures we're having now promise a burningly hot summer. It won't be pretty at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment