14 January, 2020

midsummer

A number of things have happened since the last post.

1. I've made the rest of the garden bed frames for the chook stations and put them in, along with irrigation systems. I've been running the irrigation system on the hottest days, and planted seedlings and seeds, some of which are doing very well.

I'll do a bed check post in a week.

2. I've been elected president of my local permaculture gardening group. Largely because the old president wasn't running again and a number of friends were taking up positions in the managing committee and they suggested that I run for president and...so I did.

I was the only candidate, so I'm now the president of Permaculture Sydney North, and it's an interesting time in which to be a socially active gardening group.

The fires across Australia have raised awareness that we need to change something about the way that we're living. Some of that may be personal and individual, but some of it will have to be societal and political. I'll be raising that as one of the activities for the group in the coming year.

My goal for the group is to bring people along in the permaculture journey no matter where they are, with an eye towards not only bringing people towards a recognition of climate change, but also bringing people towards a recognition for the need for sociopolitical change.

That sounds a bit highfalutin' so I'm going to have to think about how we're going to achieve that.

No comments:

Post a Comment