10 June, 2019

notes on Back to Eden, woodchips, and composting

"Woodchips" are not the chipped wood pieces that I assume they are.

"Woodchips" as described by the guy on Back to Eden are actually composted material comprised of both chipped wood logs and leafy mulch.

So I piled the woodchips up in a windrow by the fence, unfortunately no chance to add water or coffee grounds... I think I'll probably end up having to add them in compost tea over the coming weeks

Contemplating compost: maybe I should turn the compost bays tomorrow?

Growing potatoes and improving the soil
- autumn leaves and coffee grounds (sprinkled) about 6 inches
- plant the potatoes in a hole in the leaves/grounds surrounded by some handfuls of vermicompost with worms
- cover up, sprinkle coffee grounds, cover with more leaves/grounds, water
- when potatoes grow up about 6-12 inches above the soil, mulch again with leaves/grounds

I need a bed in which to put the potatoes; I don't have one. Either need to make something (metal rebar stakes and low wire edges?) or else buy/swap a garden bed...

Hm. What if I levered the two pallets apart and used the wood in those? Dig the posts in, put down lots of newspaper and shredded paper in the base to block off the weeds, then start layering the leaves and the coffee grounds...

No comments:

Post a Comment