06 June, 2024

planting: potatoes

I'm going to try to seriously grow potatoes. In their own boxes. In as controlled conditions as I can manage, given everything on the property.

I never seem to do well with potatoes, I'm not sure if that's because the boxes/bags I grow them in are too hot for the potatoes to properly form, or if I plant them in the wrong place, or if they don't get enough food.

I saw a guy growing potatoes in some boxes very similar to what I have and have been thinking about utilising those boxes to grow my own potatoes

potatoes: heavy feeders - potash and phosphorus (not so much nitrogen; not fresh chook manure)
previously:
plant lettuce, radish, pea, spinach
then green manures

thoughts
- layer in-situ-compost in bottom of boxes to halfway up
- microbial liquid
- soil
- pea straw
- potatoes
- worm wee
- pea straw
- seaweed solution

every two weeks - pea straw and seaweed solution

The problem is (as always) keeping the chooks from getting to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment